Presentations for Students
Student Book Order Forms
OUTLINE OF BOOKS
Click on the links above and scroll down to read more details
Download or Fill and Print the appropriate Student Order Form
School Assemblies and Workshops
A Celebration of Life in Our Classrooms
(ordinary classroom events can be transformed into extraordinary stories and poems)
- 100-250 students
- 45 minutes in length
- assemblies by grade levels
- to introduce students to a published author who shares her excitement and joy in writing – books can be personally autographed for students
- *celebrate the drama of the elementary school world
- encourage children and teachers to read, write and perform poems and stories about school life
- the daily question, "What’s there to write about?" will be answered in unexpected and surprising ways
- to give a strong boost of enrichment to your reading and writing program
- school poems and stories will be brought to life in an interactive program with performers from your own school (teachers "bop" to poetry, a child loses a project in the toilet, and your principal will kiss Hamlet, the pig)
- participants will share stories from their own classrooms and everyone will be inspired to read, write and perform poetry when they return to their classrooms
- students will be given poetry to share with their parents as a follow-up to the program
- teachers will be given a very special prop, poetry handouts and encouragement to continue this program in their classrooms.
(a new approach that inspires even the most reluctant writers)
- two classrooms together
- 60 minutes in length
- to bring excitement and joy to the writing process
- to introduce students to a wide array of topics to write about from the school world – recess, book bags, school problems, report cards, class pets, funny sayings, unexpected happenings, good-byes, special moments, failure, bullying, success, principals, lunch, school bus, etc. – so many things to write about!
- to introduce students to poetic elements such as rhythm, rhyme, imagery, free verse, poetic shape, poetic form
- to help students understand the significance of the revision process
- on an overhead projector Kalli will share poems that have been carefully written and selected to help children understand poetic elements and writing topics from the school world
- using examples from her own writing, Kalli will work on the importance of the revision process
- students and teachers will write their own poems
- students and teachers will share their writings
Evening Presentations for Parents and Students Together
- to bring parents and children together for a literacy event
- to introduce everyone to a published author who will personally autograph books for them
- to celebrate the poetry and stories of the elementary school world
- to help parents remember the joys, difficulties and challenges they once faced as students
- to give parents ideas and support for helping children with the reading/writing process at home
- parents and children will participate in choral readings, chantings and dramatizations of poetry about the school world
- everyone will be encouraged to share stories from their own experiences in school
- parents will be given suggestions to help children at home with reading, writing and performing poetry
Instructions for School Visits
Please mail or FAX me a copy of the schedule at least two weeks before my visit. My FAX NUMBER is (613) 723-7835.
POETRY CELEBRATIONS (large group)
Keep all poetry celebrations in one room because I bring many props and materials with me, and it is difficult to transfer them from room to room.
If possible, I need the following supplies:
- two large tables, set up at the front of the room where I will be presenting
- one table for teacher handouts at the side of the room
- seven chairs and one desk to be used for props
- a podium
- an electrical outlet
- a PA system, if necessary
WORKSHOPS (40-60 students per session)
I prefer to hold all workshops in one room, but I can travel to individual classrooms if necessary.
If possible, I need the following supplies:
- an overhead projector
- rhyming dictionaries for the students to share (I do bring additional copies)
- paper and pencils for students
- a cart if I have to go from room to room
- we love to have books available for teachers and children to purchase
- all books ordered through Edstar are discounted – schools may pass on the discounts to the children and teachers, or they can use the books as a fund raiser
- Edstar, Inc. carries copies of all the books as well as some toys and props for teachers
- Kalli is willing to personally autograph books as long as time permits
- more detailed information is in Instructions for Book Sales
Sample School Visit Schedules
|10:00 - 10:45||Presentation||Kindergarten, First and Second Grades (98 students)|
|11:00 - 11:45||Presentation||Fifth and Sixth Grades (120 students)|
|11:45 - 1:00||Lunch|
|1:00 - 1:45||Presentation||Fourth and Fifth Grades (115 students)|
Presentation and Workshops
|9:00 - 9:45||Presentation||Third and Fourth Grades (119 children)|
|10:15 - 11:15||Workshop||Two Fourth Grade Classes (61 children)|
|11:30 - 12:30||Workshop||Two Third Grade Classes (58 children)|
Instructions for Book Sales
I’m always happy to sign books for teachers and children during my visit. The books can be ordered directly from the publishing companies, bookstores, or from EDSTAR, INC., our office in Ogdensburg, NY, or from Edstar Canada, Inc. in Ottawa.
Please let me know if you would like me to autograph books during my visit, and where you will be obtaining the books.
The enclosed order form reflects the discounted prices on the books. If you would like to use the book sales as a fund raiser, you can sell the books at the full retail price.
- Make a copy of the order form (front and back) for each student.
- Fill in the line, MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO (your school or Edstar, Inc.)
- Send home as early as possible before the author visit.
- Collect order forms and checks. Do not send checks through the mail as they have been lost in the past. Keep them until Kalli’s visit.
- E-mail Edstar, Inc. at Edstark2@aol.com with the titles and numbers of books the children have ordered well before the visit. We will send the order to the warehouse, and the books will be shipped from New York or Ottawa.
- We must receive orders well before the visit (at least two to three weeks, if possible)
- Kalli will autograph all books during her visit
- This is an example of the information we need:
A Note by Kalli
I have visited hundreds of schools on author book tours for over fifteen years, and I know that you will get the best benefit out of this program if you make the books available for the children to purchase and have personally autographed.
The students are so inspired and motivated to read poetry after my visit that we have a golden opportunity to pull in even your most reluctant readers and writers. But, the books and poems must be readily available through the school library, classroom copies, and hopefully, teacher's and children's personal orders.
On the day of the visit, all children will receive a handout with a selection of poems to share with their parents.
A poem can change a child, and a child can change the world.